Tracking your adventures with FATMAP
Learn how to use the FATMAP app to track your adventures by watching the video above, or keep scrolling to read our complete guide below.
You can track your adventures directly in the FATMAP app or by connecting your favourite tracking device.
How to track with the FATMAP app
- Make sure you have the latest version of the FATMAP app installed and have granted location permissions in your phone settings
- Open the FATMAP app and tap on the Record tab
- Here you can see your Elapsed Time, Distance, Ascent and Descent
- When you are ready to start tracking, simply hit the blue Start Recording button
NOTE: for best performance on...
iOS devices: select "Always Allow" when the prompt appears (or you can find it in Settings > General > Privacy > Location Services > FATMAP) - this ensures that tracking will be restarted if your phone closes the app while it is in the background.
Android devices: check if your phone is listed in https://dontkillmyapp.com/ - this lists a lot of fixes for the many different ways location services can be throttled/disabled by your phone's manufacturer. If you notice that recordings are stopping or some parts are missing, it could be that this is the reason.
- You will see that the Elapsed Time starts to run and a red highlight appears on the bottom of the Record tab
- Tracking will continue even in Offline/Airplane mode
TIP: If you have also enabled location permissions for your camera, any photos you upload when saving your track will appear as waypoints on your adventure!
- Hit the Pause button to pause the tracking at any time and tap Resume to continue tracking
- At any time during tracking, you can use the FATMAP app as you normally would:
- tap the Map tab and you will see your tracked route as a dashed red line on the map
- you can still search the map and select other routes while tracking
- you can still use the terrain tools and overlays while tracking
- When you are ready to stop tracking, hit Pause and then the Finish button
- On the Save Your Adventure screen you can add details to your tracked route:
- Title (required)
- Activity Type (required)
- Visibility, either public by choosing The FATMAP Community or private by choosing Only Me (required)
- Hit the Save Adventure button when you are ready to save the tracked route to your profile, or hit the Delete Adventure button to delete the track
- Once you've hit Save Adventure, you'll see be taken to My Adventures screen, where the tracked route will upload and when this has finished processing you will see a thumbnail of the route, the title, activity type, date of recording, distance and ascent
- You can tap on the Settings button (three vertical dots) on the top right hand side of the adventure to Share, Download GPX, Edit and change the Visibility settings
- You can tap on the Adventure to open it, see the full stats, view it on the map, see the elevation profile, view flythroughs, share and download the GPX file (Explore members)
How to connect a tracker to your account
If you would prefer to track with another device, simply hit the Connect Tracker button (this can also be found in the Profile tab, choose Settings > Connected Accounts).
From here, you can connect your Suunto, Strava or Garmin accounts and have your tracked adventures automatically synchronise to your FATMAP account.
For the full guide on how to track with each service, follow the links below: