Being able to access your maps, routes, terrain tools and waypoints without the need for cellular signal is crucial not only in making sure you're safe outdoors, but it has benefits on other aspects such as battery life on your mobile device.
FATMAP Explore members can download unlimited areas of the map for offline use on the FATMAP app. In Offline mode, for the areas you have downloaded, you can access:
- The 3D map in both summer and winter mode (when selected)
- All topographic maps (when selected)
- All Routes (your own, FATMAP Select and community content)
- My Waypoints
In order to keep download size, speed and costs consistent with what we now offer, the following features are currently not available in Offline mode:
- My Adventures (tracked routes)
- My Guidebooks
- Route To and Route Planning
- Map Discovery and the Discover tab
To download an area of the map:
- Open up the FATMAP app and log-in (if you haven't already)
- Click on the Map tab
- Navigate to the area of the map you wish to download (Alternatively - use the Search tab to locate the area of the map and tap on the map to open it).
- Tap on the Offline Maps button on the top right-hand side of the screen next to the search bar and choose Download a map
- Alternatively, once you have found a route on the map, swipe up on the route details panel and then tap the Offline button
- Zoom in and out to select the exact area that you want to download.
- Underneath the map you can see the Download details, including both length and width, area and an estimate of the file size
- You can also then choose to download Summer and/or Winter satellite imagery, and any selection of the topographic maps (the more options you select, the larger the download file size will be)
- Before you download, ensure you have the latest version of the app installed, you have enough space on your phone and you are connected to fast WiFi
Note: you can see how many megabytes of space the map download will take up and how much free space you have on your device on the bottom of the screen.
- Hit the Download button and you will see your download is "preparing"
- When the download is ready, you will see the size of the download and a percentage bar as it completes the download.
- Keep the app open until the download is complete.
- You will find all our downloaded maps on the Offline Maps screen and here you can also choose to Edit Name of the download and Delete the downloaded maps
Note: Offline map downloads are available on the FATMAP app but not on the web platform.
Subscribe to FATMAP Explore in the FATMAP App or on the website.
If you are experiencing any issues with your downloads please see this article.